The name of this post may sound familiar to those of you who have read “7 Habits of Highly Effective People,” by Stephan Covey.
These tips do not follow the outline of the book closely, but like the habits in the book, they deal with changing your whole mindset when it comes to your health!
So here you go. Make sure to leave a comment if any of these really hit home for you!
1. Control what you can—What you eat, your exercise, sleep…
2. When you control what you can, realize that your weight WILL fluctuate (especially for women), no matter how well you are doing. Look at the trend over time. It’s just like the stock market. You can’t freak out if your stock goes down one week; instead, you should look at the trends over time. Some weeks you will lose more than others. Some weeks you may not lose. Remember that you are in it for the long haul! And most of our clients that have had amazing transformations have done it over time by changing habits. They did not give up even if they had a bad week.
3. Make eating and exercise habits a lifestyle. What you eat will account for at least 75% of your results. When you combine eating, exercise and all of the components in a complete program, you can build lean muscle, lose body fat and tone up all at once.
4. Remember that although weight loss is a good goal, it is not the only thing to watch. Maybe even more important are inches, how your clothes fit, body fat and energy levels. If you have not already read the article about 5 women who all weigh the same, click here and read it.
5. Replace lesser habits with habits that are conducive with your goals- A large part of changing your lifestyle to a healthier lifestyle is to replace other habits, even non destructive ones, with habits that help you eat healthy and stay active. Sadly, we only have 24 hours in a day, so that may mean cutting out some TV shows or social events to make time for new priorities. But if the goal is important to you, it will be worth it!
6. Find Social support and accountability. Weight loss is hard. There will be times that you stall or slow down. It can be easy to get frustrated and give up, but don’t do it! Surround yourself with people, whether it’s family, friends or a trainer, who will help you through.
7. Address the physical, mental and spiritual issues that may be holding you back! Some people discover that they have always seen themselves as heavy, and so mentally they have a hard time realizing that they can get healthy. Some people use food to cope with stress or other issues that come up. Going through this journey you can learn a lot about yourself.
8. Okay, there is a bonus. #8 is to KNOW that you can do this! No matter how many times you have tried quick fixes or diets and failed. You can develop a healthy lifestyle that will lead to the results you are looking for. But it won’t happen if you don’t think that it can. Think about that for a minute…
If you need help with your health and fitness goals, click here to request a free consultation! Otherwise, leave a comment with your weight loss tips.